Thursday, November 18, 2010

The Importance of Watermelon



Last year for Christmas, my cousins sent me a unique t-shirt. On the back was a picture of a melon, with the words, “Eat Mo’ Melon” above. Considering that my uncle grows watermelons for part of his job, this seemed to be an appropriate slogan for his triathlon team shirts. So now, the Miller family can walk around and encourage people to eat watermelon in the same way chick-fil-a attempts to sell chicken…quite amusing. Anyways, the point I’m trying to show is that melon is obviously very important in my family. Every year when we all meet at the beach, some type of melon is served with just about every meal. Because of all of this extra rind lying around, a few years ago, my cousin Jesse began to carve the leftover watermelon shells. The first year he started out simple and made a face with a carved flower for the “hair.” Last year he stepped it up a few notches, proceeding to create a fierce watermelon shark. The mouth, with many large teeth, was opened wide with a human foot made out of rind in its mouth… truly terrifying. Next, he added grape eyes and a rind fin. We all viewed it as a masterpiece, to say the least.

Amazing works of art can be created from foods other than watermelon I soon learned, such as eggs made into baby carriages, cauliflower sheep, and sushi nintendos. I was surprised to discover that people actually devote their time to crafting food into art on a daily basis. My favorite ‘piece of artwork’ that I found was an orange rind created into a man that was carrying an orange to the blender. The orange seems to weigh heavy on his shoulders as he takes a step forward. Although the artist is unknown, I have to give him/her major creativity points. I only wish I could be as cool as the food genius who created the orange man…maybe in a second life.

No comments:

Post a Comment